Sterling denies calling in sick to Liverpool training

raheemsterling-cropped_12x0cv3ghacuk1awlyxxi0hnfw

The England international twice missed training in the week before his £49m move to Manchester City, but he insists that he was suffering from a genuine illness

Raheem Sterling has denied twice calling in sick for Liverpool training before his £49 million move to Manchester City.

The 20-year-old England international completed his transfer to the Etihad Stadium last week – for a fee that makes him the most expensive English player in history – following a long-running saga over his future.

Sterling missed two days of training in his final week at the club, with many suggesting that his absences were designed to force through a transfer.

But Sterling has now rebuffed such talk and insists that he was suffering from a genuine illness, and says that it was the Liverpool doctor who prevented him from joining his team-mates on the training pitch.

“Everyone thought I threw a sick note in. I was in training on the Tuesday – in the changing room my stomach started hurting. I still went out and trained though,” he told the Manchester Evening News.

“That day I went home, and I told the doc I was ill. My stomach was rumbling and I had diarrhoea.

“The doctor just said to me you can’t be around the other players. For the next 48 hours, I stayed at home.

“That’s what the club doctor told me to do. When that 48 hours was done I came back to training as normal.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Loading...

Leave a Reply