Newborn baby Matvey suffered horrific injuries when an incubator malfunctioned and left him with 70% burns to his body.
He suffered the burns aged just three days old when a medical lamp caught fire. Matvey’s parents left him in the care of medics after seeing the burns he suffered and never came back.
Medical staff at the maternity hospital of Tula in Tula Oblast, Russia, provided urgent treatment in the days following the accident in November last year.
Health experts say he will require expensive plastic surgery and a period of rehabilitation.
A hospital spokesman said: “The boy was inside a phototherapy machine when the machine’s lamp caught in fire. Seventy per cent of the boy’s body was burned. His internal organs were also damaged. Matvey was taken to a Moscow hospital for specialist treatment.
“The boy survived after many emergency surgeries and remains in the Moscow hospital. The boy is still in a serious condition in intensive care but seems to have an enormous desire to live despite his horrific injuries.”
A fundraising drive was launched to raise money for Matvey’s treatment and volunteers hope the Russian state will help him.
A fundraiser said:
“The baby doesn’t give up. “He wants to live despite everything.
“Not many adults would be able to endure the suffering he has. He suffers and hopes for our help.
“Please do not stay indifferent. We wish for the baby to have treatment, because he deserves it.”